Tuesday, February 24, 2009

300 - A Great Film?

I love this film for it's historical accuracy. Just kidding. I'm sure there weren't mutants with gigantic humps walking around or the Spartan warriors weren't so scantily clad or there weren't inbred, swine consults who would rape the oracle. Well, maybe the rape part, but I digress. This movie just gets my adrenaline flowing every time. These Spartans had no fear and would never back down from any challenge they were up against. It's just inspiring. The fight scenes were well done and the gore looked very real. And it always helps that witty lines were always a response to Persian threats. For example: Persian Dude: Our arrows will blot out the sun. Spartan Dude: Then, we will fight in the shade! I mean, if someone actually said that during a war, that would be very demeaning. And, not to mention the best line in any movie ever. Leonidas: "Ready your breakfast and eat hearty. For tonight we dine in hell!!!" Leonidas says this after Ephialtes (Mutant with gigantic hump) betrays Sparta and informs Xerxes of the goat path behind the hot gates. He knew they were all going to die, but he had to keep his word because earlier in the film he said that he show everyone that even a God-King can bleed. (All of the dialogue is important, therefore it is a good film. Finally, I have proof!).  Even though they were surrounded, they were going to cause as much chaos as possible and never surrender. 
I have heard many different responses about this film. Some say it is a fantastic piece of cinema (Three thumbs up), others say that it's grossly inaccurate depiction of the time takes away from the film. I know you won't believe me, but I have even heard it referred to as "cinematic poopyjuice". Just kind of rolls off the tongue, doesn't it? Now you know why the title of this post has a question mark after it. Even though I could watch this film one hundred times and still be willing to watch it one hundred more, other people wouldn't be able to sit through one showing. Even though I can find so many things in this film that I feel make it great, other people can find things that they think made it awful. There would be one difference though. They would be wrong. FLORENTINO, OUT! (Pass out and fall over backwards) (Yes, that is a Meet the Fockers reference)

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this movie too, strictly for it's ability to get my adrenaline pumping. I remember after seeing it in theaters I felt like going to buy a sword and just run around battling people while shouting. It is the movie equivalent of a song that you listen to when you want to get pumped up. Gerard Butler earned about 300 man points by starring in this film. Unfortunately, he lost all of them by following it up with both P.S. I Love You and Nim's Island.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. O'Brien laughs at me because he says I haven't seen a film in ten years. Anything before that I'm an expert on , but anything new, I'm a chump. I suspect he's right. This is another one I missed. But, honestly, fellas, did I miss anything??

    To the credit of you both, neither of you defends this film on merit, but rather on your own emotional response to it. Fair enough. Perhaps I can think of some films that I love just for the hell of it. For some personal reason, or whatever. Hmmmm... The first Rambo movie. First Blood. I loved it. Can watch it again and again. The TV series Kojak. At least the ones from the first season and a half that were shot in NYC. I'll try to think of a list and post it on my blog. Crummy films I love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO "They would be wrong." THIS IS SPARTA!!! I thought he movie was awesome too, but then again i saw it when it first came out so i didnt get to judge it with my film class skills. I also don't know the historical story of how everything really went so I'm guna assume it was perfect. Very entertaining the fight scenes were cool and yes the spartans did have the wittiest lines now that you mention it. You did also make me chuckle so no refund of my time will be needed. poopyjuice hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even a good action movie needs to have some kind of side story and the side story in this movie was awful. Between the hunchback and the wife back home...killed the movie. I dont even think the action scenes were that great they were good but not great. Ultimetly the movie may have passed for a joke. Which is dissapointing because it could be a good story how 300 held 1000000....ah maybe in 20 years there will be a remake and maybe they'll get it right.

    ReplyDelete