Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Hot Fuzz - Funny and Thrilling?

Hot Fuzz is an action comedy film directed by Edgar Wright, written by Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg, and starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. This film came out in 2007, but you may remember these blokes (chaps) from the great 2004 film, Shaun of the Dead. Now, Mr. Bennett, I know this movie might be too recent or too imbecilic for you, but I haven't posted in a while and feel like I need to come back with a bang. Now, for some background info about the movie. SPOILER ALERT!

PLOT SUMMARY (optional) (I found typing this as tedious as you may find reading it): Simon Pegg plays Nicholas Angel, a cop from London that is so good at what he does, that he makes his colleagues look bad. Because of this, he gets sent to Sandford (fictional), a quaint town in rural Gloucestershire (non-fictional(?) but fun to say) that has the lowest crime-rate in all of England. During his first night in the town, he arrested a citizen of Sandford, Danny Butterman (Nick Frost), for drunk driving. The next morning he finds that cell empty and Danny dressed as a police officer. This is because he is one. Danny becomes the only police officer who takes to Nicholas and is his only true friend. Throughout the film people get killed and the incidents keep getting written off as accidents, but Nicholas isn't convinced. He thinks that these incidents are all connected and someone is going around murdering people. His fellow officers write it off to his big city mentality and make fun of him for it. Soon enough, Nicholas is confirmed and sees that a special group (including the head inspector) is behind the murders just so they can win the best village award. Danny secretly saves Nicholas from getting killed, but Nicholas comes back determined the take down the whole town with the help of Danny. Epic gun fight ensues, and good guys win, as usual. 

It's what happens along the way that makes the movie great. It has witty (British) humor as well as blatant (American) humor that balance each other out and are equally hysterical. (honestly I give witty the edge but up for debate) It has a great gun fight sequence which can never hurt. And, I am absolutely convinced that a British accent can enhance anything. Some people may think it sounds stupid, but I honestly wish I had always talked like that. If I just started now people would stare at me thinking "what the f***?" Speaking of profanities, the movie is choc full of them, but they almost sound sophisticated with a British accent. Have I mentioned the wittyness? It's just great. At one point, Nicholas Angel is fighting a huge, but retarded, guy and he distracts him with a cuddly monkey. Then he says "Playtime's over" and bashes him over the head with a flower pot. I can only respond to that the way Danny Butterman would, "You're off the f***ing chain!"

Now, to get back to the title of my post "Hot Fuzz - Funny and Thrilling?" I think it hits both nails square on the f***ing head (I'm making profanities a written art as well). If you are looking for witty comedy, you got it. If you are looking for physical comedy, you got it. If you are looking for an action film, you got it. I feel like it gives you everything without imposing anything on you. One person can finish the movie and say that was a great action film and another can say that was a great comedy. Then, they can fight to the death to see who is truly right. Both of these people would die because this movie is both funny and thrilling. Stick a fork in it because this post is done!!

8 comments:

  1. I was waiting for this Steve. This was absolutely brilliant and I really would like to see it very soon. I almost started watching it once but stopped and now I'll have to get to it again. This is yet another epic post. I kind of skipped the plot summary but your comments are just awesome and I do think that British accents are awesome! The type of humor sounds similar to In Bruges with their ability to make fun of Americans so seamlessly.

    This is a pretty hilarious post and I look forward to more. I always enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plot summary took up a lot of space and I didn't want to make the post insanely long. And I love it when people make fun of Americans because, honestly, we kind of deserve it. We (speaking in generalizations) think we are above everyone else when it's becoming quite obvious we aren't. And, we are kind of obese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to the blog-ring, Steve. This is yet another epic blog post. What happened, the stress of making such epic posts got to you? I absolutely enjoyed your post and Hot Fuzz. You ought to make one about Shaun of the Dead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hot Fuzz is definitely up there in my pick of great movies. But every time I watch it I feel the scene at toward the end (when they're in the sewer...or somewhere underground...I forget) and fighting with knives just spoils the drama and suspense. The matrix part specifically is what does it for me. I suppose it's just another way to parody action movies, but it was really quite repulsive. I think if they had just left that slow motion out, it would've been more epic.
    But other than that (I haven't seen it in a year - anyone have it so I can borrow it?) I completely agree about its awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hot fuzz was a greatly entertaining film and Irina couldnt have said it better about her agreement about the films awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This film is definitely a must watch. Excellent lampoon of the over the top action genre. And like you said on my most recent post, English accents just make everything better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting. You are right that I don't konwa bout this film. But, if I've presented myslf as some kind of snooty intellectual snob, I hope it's not accurate. It's possible that this film won't appeal to me, but I can enjoy low-brow humor as much as the next guy, and, from what you and your readers say, this film has value.

    Anyway, thanks for a well-written post. I'm sorry I can't offer much feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just being my usual overly sarcastic self and poking a little fun at you Mr. Bennett. And after seeing that you enjoy Top Hat, there are obviously many, many sides to you that we (and by we, I mean definitely I and probably everyone else) appear to be completely and utterly unaware of. So, I rescind (but won't remove from the post) my remark about it being too imbecilic for you, but the recent remark is staying as is.

    ReplyDelete